Thursday, March 29, 2012

DIY- Hula Hoop

I think hula-hooping is one of my all-time favorite past times. I used to win contests when I was just a little Megan. Even to this day, I still pick up a hula-hoop anytime I come across one, which happens a lot in the summer with my nieces and nephews, and now every Sunday when I teach a pre-k class. I pretty much hula-hoop every week.

I finally decided I needed one of my own. They can be a little pricey so I just googled "make your own hula hoop" and found everything I needed! With the help of my fabulous babe, Heath, I know have my very own hula hoop!

Here is how we did it!


1) Supplies: polypipe, electric tape and some kind of fitting depending on the size pipe you use. We had a hard time finding polypipe, so we ended up with this pipe from Home Depot. Its called Sharkbite and its found in the same aisle as dryer hoses and things like that. The fitting (ours is sharkbite as well) can be found in the same aisle. Electrical tape can be pretty pricey for the really pretty stuff, so I settled with the cheap standard colors! :)

 2) Cut the pipe the size you want your hula-hoop. You will want the pipe (when round) to reach between your belly button and shoulders. The smaller it is, the harder it is to keep it up and therefore a better workout!
PS. My babe is so so cute.


3) Take self-portraits with your adorable pup Taz.
**This is will be the pup we take with us on our adventure!!!

             

4) Warm up the pipe so it can bend and fit around the fitting.
  Im not really sure what I'm talking about here, that's why I keep Heath around. :)


5) Make it into a circle! 
Obviously!


6) Test it to make sure its gonna work!
-See, I'm a hula-hoop pro!!


7) Decorate. 
Of course this was my favorite part.



FINISHED PROJECT!!!!!


Seriously, hula-hoops make me so incredibly happy. It's the small things in life. 

I couldn't resist posting this picture of our favorite little animal! Isn't he just the cutest. He is also the weirdest animal we have ever met!



So, there you have it! A very cheap (i think everything cost maybe $10) and unique hula hoop! 

Have a great Thursday everyone!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment